From time to time, people ask me to mentor them. In this post, I want to address that topic.
Jesus gave us a particular model for ministry.
1. One tier of His ministry was to the masses wherein He gave specific ministry to the multitudes.
2. Another tier of His ministry was to 70 people whom He sent out on a special mission.
3. A third tier of His ministry was to the Twelve. Jesus shared the mysteries of the Kingdom with the Twelve and some women who Luke refers to as “The Women.”
4. Beyond that, there was the smallest tier of all. Peter, James, and John — 3 of the Twelve whom Jesus included in special cases.
Note that the 70, the Twelve, and the 3 (Peter, James, and John) were all present when Jesus ministered to the multitudes, but they received special ministry beyond what He gave to the masses.
I’ve reflected on the Lord’s four-tiered ministry model for many years.
Taking that as my model of ministry, here are four ways that I mentor people presently.
If you’re one of the people who has requested mentoring, you’ll want to avail yourself of all four:
1. Mentoring for the Masses.
My books are for every Christian who wishes to have my best thinking on a topic.
In like manner, my blog posts are supplemental to my books, often dealing with current issues.
My blogs and books don’t duplicate each other. The content is different but complimentary, except when I will occasionally post an excerpt from a book.
2. Mentoring for the 70.
My discipleship courses, exclusive updates, and podcast are more personal. As Maya Angelou once said, “Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with deeper meaning.”
In my podcast, I often speak on heavy and controversial issues that I don’t address anywhere else.
3. Mentoring for the Twelve.
Each year, I hold one or two live events for a small number of people who are serious about delving even deeper.
Get on my Events list to find out where these events are being held.
I’m also working on a new project that will provide virtual mentoring to people all over the world.
Join my Mentoring list to learn about it as soon as it launches.
4. Mentoring for the 3.
Out of the Twelve, I plan to assemble a small ministry team in the future. It will probably consist of more than 3 people, but it will follow the same principle of Peter, James, and John.
Those who will be part of this team are those who have read my books, listened to my podcast episodes, and have gone through my courses. And they are ready to delve deeper.