Over the years, I’ve received tons of questions from my readers about the Holy Spirit.
Ten of the key ones have been . . .
1. what is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, exactly?
2. what’s the role of speaking in tongues?
3. is speaking in tongues the evidence of being baptized in the Spirit?
4. are spiritual gifts for today?
5. what’s the difference between a word of knowledge and a word of wisdom?
6. how does prophecy work today and can all Christians prophesy?
7. what is the five-fold ministry and how does it work?
8. how do we know the difference between the Holy Spirit’s work, the devil’s work, and the work of the human soul?
9. does the Holy Spirit do miracles today?
10. what do the gifts of the Spirit look like when operating in a church?
After many years of experience with the things of the Spirit and intense study of the Scriptures on the subject, I’ve put my conclusions in a book entitled Rethinking the Spirit.
I grew up in the Charismatic/Pentecostal movement and discovered, over time, what’s authentic in that movement and what’s unhealthy and unhelpful.
Unfortunately, I’ve watched some healthy churches pick up some of the bad habits in those movements, bringing them straight into healthy body life.
This is a travesty as far as I’m concerned.
I’ve written Rethinking the Spirit to help those churches navigate through the pure work of the Spirit from the human wrappings (which are often picked up by imitation).
I’ve also written it for the countless Christians who have questions about the Spirit’s work, ranging from those who doubt it, to those who fear it, to those who have overemphasized it, to those who have unwittingly counterfeited it.
Rethinking the Spirit is part of my Rethinking Series. You cannot get it as a “stand alone” because it’s connected with the other books in the series. And it’s only in digital form (Kindle, Nook, and PDF).
The good news is that today we’ve released my FREE Rethinking Sampler — which gives you a sample of each volume in the series — including a sample chapter from Rethinking the Spirit which I think you’ll appreciate.
(If you already have the series, you can share the give-away Sampler to friends.)
Answers to YOUR questions about the Rethinking Series from the recent blog survey.
(1) Only SOME of the articles in the Rethinking Series are based on previous blog posts dating back to 2008. But much of the Series contains never-before-published material.
(2) Most of the previous blog posts that were converted into chapters in the Series are no longer available on the blog. They were removed to conserve space for fresh content and to cause the blog to load much faster.
(3) You may not have TIME to read the Series right now. But as I do with most books I want, I buy them when on discount and save them for future reading. Also, the Rethinking Series is great for future reference as each chapter is instantly accessible. So you can read the chapters you want whenever you have the urge.
(4) I always smile when someone says, “I got the gist of Frank’s ministry so I don’t want these books.” The fact is, these books contain expositions on topics I’ve not addressed anywhere else. Further, the Rethinking the Church volume contains my never-before-published spiritual memoir about church and the Practical Helps for Christian Communities contains over 25 years of lessons I’ve learned that will spare churches and believing communities from many problems.
(5) The content in the Rethinking Series is NOT duplicated or repeated in my print books. It’s all fresh material.
(6) If you don’t like reading digital books (you’ll get the Series in Kindle, Nook, and PDF when you order, so you can read it on any device), you can always print it out. I do that for digital books myself, then I bind the pages in a binder clip or I hole punch the pages and put them in a loose-leaf binder.
(7) If money is really tight for you, DO NOT buy the Series right now. Wait until when you can afford it, but enjoy the Sampler in the meantime.
Get the Sampler