What follows are my top 100 Christian theological and scholarly works along with the best New Testament commentaries. I created it because many people who read my Best 100 Christian Books Ever Written list wanted my “theological and scholarly works” recommendations, including commentaries.
Please keep the following in mind as you view this list:
* To keep the list to 100 volumes, it only contains books written during the 20th and 21st centuries.
* I’ve not added Old Testament commentaries simply because I haven’t read enough of them to rate them against one another. What’s listed are the most helpful New Testament commentaries I have come across so far.
* Just because a book or a commentary appears on this list doesn’t mean that I agree with every word of it. Nor does it mean that I agree with everything the author has ever said or done.
* The books do not appear in any particular order, except that the commentaries appear at the end. Some of the books listed do not show the book covers, but they are still available for purchase. Shipping is free for orders of $25 or more.
* I’m an Amazon affiliate, so if you purchase a book from this list, I receive a small commission.
* My books appear at the end of the list because they reflect the same theology of some of these titles. But they are not counted as part of the 100 books.
To read my non-academic Christian book list, click the 100 Best Christian Books Ever Written. (There are a few academic works on that list, but they are accessible.)
Christian Academic Books
New Testament Commentaries
New! Online Discipleship Course. Click the banner below for more information. The course is discounted for a limited time.
If you find this post helpful, you are free to ADD A LINK to it on your blog or website. But don’t copy and paste the post as this violates Google’s guidelines.