What follows are my top 100 Christian theological and scholarly works (along with my favorite New Testament commentaries) created April 2012.
Note that these titles were selected out of the Christian academic books I’ve actually read – which admittedly is a small slice of what’s been written. There are thousands of academic books I’ve never read, and I’m still sifting through volumes that people recommend to me.
I created this list because many people who read my Best 100 Christian Books Ever Written list wanted my “theological and scholarly works” recommendations, including New Testament commentaries.
Please keep the following in mind as you view this list:
* To keep the list to 100 volumes, it only contains books written during the 20th and 21st centuries.
* I’ve not added Old Testament commentaries simply because I haven’t read enough of them to rate them against one another. What’s listed are the most helpful New Testament commentaries I have come across so far.
* Just because a book or a commentary appears on this list doesn’t mean that I agree with every word of it. Nor does it mean that I agree with everything the author has ever said or done.
* The books do not appear in any particular order, except that the commentaries appear at the end. Some of the books listed do not show the book covers, but they are still available for purchase. Shipping is free for orders of $25 or more.
* I’m an Amazon affiliate, so if you purchase a book from this list, I receive a small commission.
To read my non-academic Christian book list, click the 100 Best Christian Books Ever Written. (There are a few academic works on that list, but they are accessible.)
Christian Academic Books
New Testament Commentaries