This page is a compilation of various websites and documents that have responded to someone named Jim Wright and his smears against numerous ministers and authors throughout the years, including smears against Frank and many of his friends. These smears were fully discredited in early 2013.
* An unknown man with a history of smearing people with false accusations named Jim Wright has been attacking Frank Viola, Jon Zens, Milt Rodriguez, Chris Kirk, Ken Eastburn, Felicity Dale and other ministers since 2012, spreading horrendous deceptions about each of them.
* Wright has deliberately confused one author with a known sex offender in Florida who has the same name. Frank Anthony Viola (the author) is not the same man as Anthony Frank Viola (link), the sex offender. But both do live in the state of Florida. (Wright doesn’t know Viola. He’s never met him nor spoken to him by phone.)
* Wright has a history of accusing people he doesn’t know of “predation” and other sexual crimes. These allegations are not only false and baseless, they are outrageous. Wright’s Facebook blog page was removed by Facebook’s abuse department for defamation, bullying, and harassment. See CrossroadJunctionWatch.com for details.
* Wright has been attacking Zens, Viola, Rodriguez and those who are part of the House2House ministry (K. Eastburn, K. Giles, T. and F. Dale, etc.) since 2012 out of a personal vendetta because none of them would give him a hearing as he desired leadership in organic church circles. Wright also became angered and offended when they disagreed with his fundamentalistic viewpoints on their blogs. (See Wright’s furious comment in one such blog post from February 13, 2012 and the responses to him. After he made that comment, he began his smear campaign against these authors.)
* Allegations of “sexual exploitation” of a teenager, criminal charges, “cover ups,” adultery, and other outrageous accusations that allegedly took place over 15 years ago are untrue. Jon Zens disproved these allegations in 2012. Wright found an old archived letter from 2002 written by Jon Zens, which Jon recanted shortly afterward when he discovered he was misinformed about the information. Wright embellished the accusations, fabricated details and tried to resurrect the accusations in the letter as something new and titillating.
* What did take place in the year 2000 (which was not adultery) was severely exaggerated and distorted by Wright with salacious and scurrilous fabrications. The actual event was dealt with biblically and fully repented of at that time and bears little resemblance to Wright’s uninformed tabloid version. Jon Zens, who was involved first-hand with the situation, set Wright straight about the accusations in early 2013. But Wright chose to ignore the facts and repeat his false and salacious narrative to try and discredit the people he doesn’t like.
* According to the court documents from Jim Wright’s divorce listed on CrossroadJunctionWatch.com, Wright’s wife divorced him, he’s gotten into trouble with the court for slandering his wife in public and violating court orders. According to the website, there are also issues that involve his relationship with his adult children. The sad state of Jim Wright’s personal life adds to his hypocrisy of attacking people he doesn’t know with false allegations.
* Wright has a history of creating phony sex scandals and has been excommunicated by at least three different Christian groups and churches for slander and smears. Details can be found on the links below this report.
Jim Wright’s History of Slandering Others & Employment of Unethical Methods
* In the last church that Jim Wright was a part of, he spread slander against his pastor and staff after his attempts at getting into the church leadership were rejected. The church excommunicated Wright for the sin of slander and causing division. Jim’s slander of the pastor was so severe that the church felt forced to seek legal counsel regarding the situation. As is Wright’s pattern, the slander was salacious and scurrilous. On Jim’s blog he mentioned that he decided to leave this church – he omits the fact that he was disciplined because of his attacks on others.
* Previous to that incident, Wright was part of another church where he spread outright lies and distortions about the staff after his attempts at getting into the leadership there were also refused. Two of us spoke to these pastors and heard their sad stories. One of them said, “Jim Wright has caused a lot of trouble for some of the pastors in our community. He distorts and exaggerates.”
* There are other incidences that hit much closer to home with respect to Wright’s personal life, but we won’t go into them at this time.
* We have asked Wright several times who is accountable to and he has offered no names. According to Donovan Bates, who has visited Wright’s home group as late as last year (made up of 8-10 people at the time), there do not appear to be any elders who Wright is accountable to. This is ironic as Wright has made a big deal about “accountability,” and the brother he is presently accusing is submitted to a number of Christian leaders who he has known for almost 20 years. (They are mentioned in David L’s letter).
* Wright often uses the plural “we” when he writes his slanderous allegations against others. But only Wright’s name appears at the end of these documents. It appears that it is simply Wright himself who is making these charges. If there are others who are behind Jim’s accusations, who and where are they?
* In 2012, Wright made a big deal on his blog and Facebook page about a church “scandal.” He claimed that 6 staff members were involved in a sex scandal and that it was a “huge” case, one of the largest of its kind. Some of us did some research and talked to the parties involved and discovered that this was a complete distortion of the facts. There was a lawsuit, but it wasn’t “huge.” It didn’t involve 6 staff members. It only involved 1 staff member and it was not about a sex scandal, but about an issue of employment discrimination. Jon Zens spoke directly to the pastor of this church about the incident.
*Wright often references a “victim’s support ministry” blog that “confirms” Wright’s false misrepresentations of others . However, Wright himself created and manages this “support ministry” blog. Wright’s presentation of this “support ministry” blog as a source of objective information and “confirmation” of his accusations is misleading and deceptive. Further, there is no evidence of a board of directors or other organizational reality to this ministry. It appears to be simply Jim Wright himself.
*Donovan Bates has gone on record saying that ever since he has known Jim Wright (2006), he has never known him to apologize, admit to any wrong doing (even when confronted directly with it), and has never taken responsibility or ownership for anything he has done wrong. We all have observed the same thing. This is an indication of an unchecked ego and the sin of pride.
* Since 2012, Wright has been banned from at least 10 Christian Facebook groups for harassing, misrepresenting, and maligning other Christians.
* According to the website research below, Jim Wright created fake Facebook accounts and used them to join the Facebook groups from which he has been banned: namely, Joe Ashton and Adam Bartmann.
*Keith Smith, and his wife Jeanne Elder Smith have worked with Jim Wright in smearing the members of the House2House church community and authors who were once a part of it. They have no relationship with most of them including Frank. According to CrossroadJunctionWatch.com, Keith Smith was caught fabricating his academic credentials as a counselor. It was proven that he stole a real counselor’s identity and credentials.
The Smith’s too have been banned from multiple Facebook groups and there is evidence to demonstrate that they created fake Facebook accounts as late as 2013 which have been used to raise money for the Smith’s ministry and to disparage other Christians on Facebook. We believe those fake aliases to be:
Florian Jager (and there are likely others)
If you are Facebook friends with any of these characters, they are not real people and their intentions have been malicious.
How to Deal with a Slanderer According to the Bible
The Scripture is clear that slander is just as serious as a sin as the other works of the flesh listed in the New Testament (murder, adultery, etc.) – all of which bar one from inheriting the kingdom of God if not repented of (see Galatians 5:19-21; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10).
Also, to spread slander or provide a venue for it is to participate in this sin.
Thus we are writing this letter with heavy hearts to warn the body of Christ about Jim Wright in the spirit of Matthew 18:15-17, Titus 3:10, and Romans 16:17.
It is possible that one of you will become the next victim of Wright’s consistent pattern of operating as a smear merchant.
Please understand that we have only touched the tip of the iceberg in the amount of falsehoods and distortions that Jim Wright has been spreading and has been confronted about. If we detailed them all, this would be an incredibly long letter.
Social media experts often say, “don’t feed the trolls. It only keeps them going and makes them look credible.” (A troll is someone who uses the Internet to stir up trouble, spread gossip and slander, and defame people.)
As one person remarked who observed Wright make sordid allegations on a Facebook group, a person stops performing when he has no audience.
In the Spirit of Jesus Christ, therefore, we beseech all of God’s people to not give Jim Wright an audience for his persistent lies against members of the body of Christ. Many people have defriended him from Facebook because they are tired of being poisoned by his slander against others.
Until Jim Wright repents and willingly removes his slanderous blog posts and websites, we will leave this warning up. We also will not give him an ear to his slander nor will we engage him. We encourage you to do the same as Scripture instructs:
“Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them.” Titus 3:10
“Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them who cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which you have learned [love], and avoid them.” Romans 16:17
If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector. Matthew 18:15-17
“There are six things the LORD hates – no, seven things he detests . . . a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.” Proverbs 6:16,19
“Malign no one” (NASB); “speak evil of no one” (KJV); “slander no one” (NIV). Titus 3:2
Sincerely in Christ,
David (Ransom) Backus
From the Endorsement by the Dales
“We are deeply saddened by the division and disrepute that Jim Wright has recently brought on the body of Christ through his accusations against Frank. We stand with Frank. We value his contributions to the body of Christ and are proud to call him our friend.”
Tony and Felicity
If after reading this website and the following links, you have concerns and would like to speak directly to Frank Viola or Jon Zens about Wright’s absurd attacks which began in 2012, write to TheDeeperJourney @ gmail.com.
Other credible sites:
CrossRoadJunctionWatch.com – exposing Jim Wright’s past and present deceptions.