20 Things the Blood of Jesus Does

advertisebanner

1.      It remits sins (Matt. 26:28).

2.      It gives life to those who consume it (John 6:53).

3.      It causes us to dwell in Christ and He in us (John 6:56).

4.      It is the means by which Jesus purchased the church (Acts 20:28).

5.      It is the means by which Jesus becomes our atonement through faith (Rom. 3:25).

6.      It justifies us and saves us from wrath (Rom. 5:9).

7.      It redeems us (Eph. 1:7; 1 Pet. 1:18-19; Rev. 5:9).

8.      It brings those who were far away from God near to Him (Eph. 2:13).

9.      It grants us the forgiveness of sins (Col. 1:14).

10.    It brings peace and reconciliation to God (Col. 1:20).

11.    It has obtained eternal redemption for us (Heb. 9:12).

12.    It cleanses our conscience from dead works to serve the living God (Heb. 9:14).

13.    It is the means by which we enter the most holy place with boldness (Heb. 10:19).

14.    It speaks a better word than the blood of Abel (Heb. 12:24, NIV).

15.    It sanctifies us (Heb. 13:12).

16.    It makes us complete for every good work (Heb. 13:20-21, NKJV).

17.    It cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:7).

18.    It bears witness in the earth along with the Spirit and the water (1 John 5:8, KJV).

19.    It is the means by which Jesus washes us (Rev. 1:5; 7:14).

20.    It is the means by which we overcome the accuser of the brethren (Rev. 12:11).

Summary: Thank God for the “precious” blood of Christ . . . the “sprinkled” blood of Christ . . . the blood of “the new covenant” . . . the blood of “the eternal covenant” (1 Pet. 1:19; Heb. 12:24; Luke 22:20; Heb. 13:20).

“The life is in the blood” (Lev. 17:11).

See also 50 Things the Holy Spirit Does

LikeWithBorder

Comments

1. Catherine says

Praise God for such a post. The 20 things about the blood reminds me of the many reasons I should worship the Lord. I an forever grateful for His mercy. No life without the blood of Jesus!
    Catherine

2. vyrine spencer says

Great post on the Blood of Jesus. I started my research on the Blood because a pastor told his church that he practice of pleaing the Blood of Jesus is not Biblical and they should not practice it. I have being pleaing the Blood of Jesus for years against the devil, and I am now convinced that I should not stop..We overcome the devil by the Blood of Jesus and the word of our testimony.

3. CAB says

I wonder if “the life is in the blood” refers to DNA. Science is learning that DNA is not unchangeable, but that it is always reorganizing, and responds to our lifestyle and behavior. This would explain curses and altered DNA passed down to progeny, warped by sin, how one sin could mess everybody up, but if Jesus’ perfect DNA can fix things…and is it possible that our spirits have DNA? Our spirits dead in sin, that Jesus, the lifegiving spirit, can change? I know this is probably weird to say this, but science and the Bible are not in conflict, and eventually we learn science that backs up the Bible. I’m not sure this is the right science I’m speaking of here, but still…

4. Dee says

I am so glad to hear the blood of Jesus being discussed! There is not enough teaching and preaching about the blood of Jesus these days! Awesome information, THANK YOU! it is powerful!!!

5. Bow Down and Worship CHRIST says

Thank Father for the Blood of Jesus Christ. All Praises and Glory be to his name. Christ for all eternity.

AMEN.

6. Funso Ipaye says

Wonderful blood that redeemed me and kept alive till now. I am going to use it to encourage others. Good post, well done.

7. Evangelist Br. Yoland Jno Jules says

These 20 points will help me very well in my Radio messages for the month of November 2013 on the series NOTHING BUT THE BLOOD.
    I also love to sing that song: When he was on the cross I was on his mind. Especially verse 2.
    The look of love was on his face
    The thorns were on his brow
    The blood that stained the scarlet robe
    well stained it crimson red
    though his eyes were on the crowd that day
    He looked ahead in time
    When he was on the cross I was on his mind.

8. Lombi Victoire says

Yessssssssssssss! it is the blood of Jesus Christ that has bought me from sin and from the kingdom of darkness. I thank you so much Lord Jesus for shedding your innocent blood for me. Even if I was the only 1 on this earth, Jesus you would have come and died for me. I love you so very much.

9. Geoff says

Thank you for your list of biblical references about the blood of Jesus. I can add a couple for your consideration, namely:

21. By His wounds you have been healed (1Pe2:24).
    22. He drove out demons, fulfilling Isaiah prophecy of the suffering servant (Mt 8:16-17)

10. stormwatch says

JESUS CHRIST! The most important Man in the human history! Past, present, future and Eternity!

11. Samuel Amfo says

This is something you can never resist. The BLOOD of JESUS is LIFE that every living SOUL needs.

12. Akhona Ntuli, Montclair dbn, S.A. says

Thank u Lord for the work completed on Calvary. There is power in the blood of Jesus, it has life, it is life.

13. Emele Omumu says

This is the very BLOOD that was shed on the cross of calvary. “Thank you Lord JESUS for your blood. By you stripes we are healed even from the days of the prophet. Your BLOOD is from everlasting to everlasting.”

14. harvis says

THE BLOOD OF JESUS. THE SAME SOURCE THAT SAVES US IS THE SAME SOURCE THAT KEEPS US. IT (THE BLOOD) WILL NEVER LOSE ITS POWER.

15. LaSonia Michele says

I heard in my Spirit that if I worship the Lord for the Blood that he shed, I will experience signs, wonders and miracles. I share this with Facebook friends, twitter, and others. Through research I landed this page that gave 20 reasons to worship because of the blood. I shared this with all that I knew. THERE IS POWER IN THE BLOOD!!! THE POWER THAT CAN NEVER BE EXTINGUISHED.

Thank you Frank Viola!

An encouraging word on this Monday. Great reminder in how we should view who we are, given what we have in Him. This is one of those… print it off tape it in the front of your Bible kind of posts.

How about this one? It gives us the right to the tree of life (Rev 22:14). In John 19:34, two things flowed out of Christ’s pierced side- blood and water. The blood is for redemption, to deal with sins for the purchasing of the church. The water is for imparting life, to deal with death for the producing of the church. Thus Christ’s death was for more than redemption. It was to release His divine life for our regeneration. The blood is so crucial because it maintains our experience of Christ in God’s organic salvation. First God must cleanse the vessel before He fills it. Thanks for this reminder!

• Stephanie says

I’m so glad that you spoke of this. It is so…. true & so many people aren’t really aware of it. Many people don’t even think about the water that flowed from our Saviours side when HE was pierced. THE WATER OF PURITY, HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD!!!!! GOD BLESS

18. Alexandra says

I grew up in a black church, singing in the choir. The boy standing next to me, as we both listened to his daddy preach, went on to be considered ‘the godfather of contemporary gospel music” – Andrae Crouch.

He wrote a song called The Blood, very famous in gospel circles.

“The blood that Jesus shed for me
    Way back on Calvary
    The blood that gives me strength
    From day to day
    It will never lose its power.

It soothes my doubts
    And it calms my fears
    And that same blood dried all my tears
    The blood that gives me strength
    From day to day
    It will never lose its power.

For it reaches to the highest mountains
    And it flows to the lowest valleys
    That blood that gives me strength
    Will never lose its power.”

Alexandra

How precious is the blood of Jesus
    One drop can make a sinner clean
    Worth more than all of this world’s riches
    For they could never, ever redeem

Only the blood could pay the price
    Only the poured out life of Christ
    Only such costly sacrifice
    Could ever atone for you and for me.

How precious is the blood of Jesus!

Thanks Frank for the edifying post!

20. Tracy Schlotterback says

This really does say it all – without the Blood of Jesus, we are under the old covenant and cannot go directly to the Father without an earthly sacrifice. Christ became our sacrifice. Praise God!

Here is another classic hymn:

What can wash away my sin?
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
    What can make me whole again?
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
    That makes me white as snow;
    No other fount I know,
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

For my pardon, this I see,
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
    For my cleansing this my plea,
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

21. Seeker says

What’s up with Blood?

I have been a Christian for a while now and I have been thinking a lot about “the blood”. I read the “20 Things the Blood of Jesus Does” and they are powerful statements. To be granted forgiveness, and peace, and justification etc. because of the blood is amazing. But then I take a step back and ask myself, “Why?” Why does blood accomplish this? Why does Plasma, Red blood cells containing Hemoglobin, White Blood Cells and Platelets, although perfect, accomplish the 20 things?

Is blood used ubiquitously in the New Testament because most of the New Testament is coming from Jewish writers who have grown up with the religious understanding of killing animals as sacrifices to appease an angry God? Does not your cultural/religious background mold and shape the lenses in which you view and write the world?

Not to be crude, but does God have a fetish for blood? I know the blood of Jesus “saves us from Wrath” but why? Does this theology espouse a Vampire God who was angry and wrathful but once satiated with perfect blood can now rest and be at peace with humankind? Do we really know what we are saying when we celebrate “the blood”? Maybe we are talking metaphors here?

If blood is a metaphor, is it the best metaphor to use with our contemporary non-animal sacrificing mindsets? Is blood too archaic, a vestige metaphor that has spoken powerfully to a previously sacrificial generation but might be considered odd, strange, disgusting and incomprehensible that God really enjoys a perfect blood cocktail to calm Himself down so he doesn’t pour out his wrath and send all humanity to a torturous eternal hell?

I just have a feeling that all of this emphasis on blood will no longer speak so powerfully to future generations. For those who grew up in the church, all this talk about blood is beautiful but for many unbelievers whom I have talked to and who are ignorant of what Christianity is about have been put off and aghast at such blood talk. Did the Apostle Paul write about the death of Jesus in a way that his readers could understand? What would a newly contextualized version of what happened to Jesus Christ look like? I think we should wrestle with this more for the sake of the future of the church. I could be wrong and am open to feedback.

• Steve says

The blood is not a metaphor. The reason death passed over the children of Israel in Exodus was because the blood of the lamb was on the doorposts. And because of Christ death has passed over us. “… for indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us” 1Cor 5:7

We all were born in sin (Psalm 51:5) because everyone on earth shares the same blood of Adam (Acts 17:26). Blood that has sinned from the begging, by man came death… In Adam all die (1 Corinthians 15:21-22). As we know (thanks to this post) life is in the blood. Christ can only have been the ultimate sacrificial lamb if his blood was pure of sin and completely innocent. Innocent blood that paid the price for our guilty blood. Christ was a the second Adam. A new bloodline, fresh slate, clean start.

If you or I had died on a cross nothing would have happened. Our blood couldn’t have paid the price because we’re guilty of punishment (Romans 6:23). Christ was not, so his blood took the punishment our blood deserved.

Acts 17:26 (KJV)
      And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth…

Psalm 51:5 (NLT)
      For I was born a sinner–yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.

Ephesians 2:1 (KJV)
      And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins

1 Corinthians 15:21-22 (KJV)
      For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
      For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

1 Corinthians 15:45 (KJV)
      And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul;
      the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

22. Alan Adams says

Hey, brother Frank…I’m preaching and conducting Communion at an Alliance church this coming Sunday…I’ve copied the 20 Things and plan to have the elders read it before distributing The Cup…powerful compilation…thanks for giving it to us…like we used to sing:
    Precious, precious blood of Jesus
    Shed on Calvary.
    Shed for rebels, shed for sinners,
    Shed for me.

23. Robyn says

The powerful blood of Jesus Christ! Thanks, Frank, for compiling the remedies in one place…reminds me how grateful I am to Him…

24. Christopher Holmes says

Wow, there’s none like our King Jesus. Thank for posting 20 things the blood of Jesus does. I have been encouraged. Thanks.

• modu oseni says

The blood of Jesus fights our battles – physical and spiritual; worked for me and still works for me. So powerful.