The Perfect Image For My Rants Against Sectarianism and Elitism

Those of you who’ve read my books and listen to my podcast are keenly aware that one of the things I frequently take dead aim at is the spirit of sectarianism and elitism in the Christian world.

I have little tolerance for it.

You can read one of my rants about it here.

Well, I just found the perfect image to go along with it.

admissions

New! Online Discipleship Course. Click the banner below for more information.
If you find this post helpful, you are free to ADD A LINK to it on your blog or website. But don’t copy and paste the post as this violates Google’s guidelines.

Join over 30,000 other readers and receive free blog updates. If you subscribe by Email, you will receive my eBook Rethinking the Will of God (Revised) and my Next Reformation Seminar as a free gift. By subscribing, you also won’t miss a post. If you want to start your own blog from scratch in less than 10 minutes, click here. And if you’re looking for a hosting or domain-name service, I highly recommend BlueHost.

Comments

1. Alex Nolette says

It seems to me that the more I’ve learned about theology through self-study, the more I’ve gotten away from making decisive statements on the fringe theology matters and growing stronger and deeper into the core truths. This has also made me much more accepting of most denominations. I have opinions, but I try to never use them to divide. As long as Jesus is God, Savior, Lord, King, All in All to you, I consider you family; maybe the rebel teenage brother that chooses to push the limits of reason, but family none the less. :-)

2. Mike says

Ouch! I attended one of those classes a few years ago when my family left one denomination for another. After serving four years as the president of the congregation (try to find that title in scripture), I stepped down a few months ago, in part, because I could not continue to submit to our rather elitist views any longer.

Thanks for your tweet today about organic church resources. I am searching.

3. Phyllis says

Oh, so true! “Pride” hits it on the head. Even if we’re fully immersed in being in the pride of the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, we’re still not immune.

4. Bridget says

Hmmm . . . people with mentalities! We seem to be everywhere, inside and outside the institutional church. Can’t we just get over ourselves? It’s either that or live in seclusion, or in a cult. But I’m just not seeing seclusion or cults as an option from what I know of Jesus’ life ;)

I’ve been seeing this more and more lately in those outside “institutional” church. I think it’s just our human nature to want to create some new idea and think we have all the answers. Part of that Pride thing..

Frank – love it. I have been profoundly moved by an Oswald Chambers statement:
    “Never make a principle out of your experience; let God be as original with other people as He is with you.”

• Leanne Richards-Williams says

Thank you for sharing this Dan. Gonna copy and paste…print and hang up everywhere.

Funny…I think this is what the Bible is all about: God being original with all the major and minor individuals presented there…With Christ being the Chief Example!

:D

6. Teague says

LOL. Things are funniest when true or when we see ourselves in the joke. The attitude depicted in the cartoon is all too common. If you don’t laugh, you’ll cry, right?